dinsdag 17 mei 2011

Egyptische staatstelevisie en ANP: waar twee vechten, hebben twee schuld

"Botsingen moslims en christenen in Egypte"; "Opnieuw zijn in Egypte op grote schaal moslims en christenen met elkaar slaags geraakt"; "In het centrum van de hoofdstad Caïro vielen in de nacht van zaterdag op zondag zeker 65 gewonden". Aldus het ANP, klakkeloos overgenomen door kranten als Trouw.

Associated Press brengt het nieuws iets anders:
An angry mob attacked a group of mainly Christian protesters demanding drastic measures to heal religious tension amid a spike in violence, leaving 65 people injured. [...]
Christians, who make up about 10 percent of Egypt's population, have felt increasingly insecure since 18 days of street protests brought down Mubarak, who led the country for nearly 30 years until he was forced to resign on Feb. 11.
The Christians, many of whom are Coptic, have complained that the interim government and security forces have failed to protect them and have allowed extremist Islamic groups to attack with impunity.
Earlier this month, mobs of Muslims, apparently urged on by the ultraconservative Salafi sect of Islam, stormed the Virgin Mary Church in the Cairo neighborhood of Imbaba and set it ablaze. The attack was sparked by a rumor that a Christian woman planned to marry a Muslim, which some religious purists consider to be forbidden.
A short distance away, the mob tried to storm the Mar Mina Church, but were held back by Christians who formed a human shield around the church and fought for hours.
Fifteen people were killed and more than 200 were injured in the melees. No trial date has been set for those arrested in the attacks.
Several weeks before the attacks on the churches, Egyptians led by hard-line Islamists repeatedly rallied and marched to protest the appointment of a Coptic Christian governor in the southern Egyptian province of Qena.
Violence against the sit-in in Cairo erupted late Saturday night, when a mob of more than 100 people lobbed rocks and firebombs and charged dozens of people sleeping in the area. Some 15 vehicles were also set on fire and damaged.
Armored military vehicles later blocked cars and pedestrians from going to the state TV building. More than 50 people were arrested and were being interrogated, security officials said.
Some of the Christian protesters fled, but others said they would continue their sit-in.
Atef, who was injured in the melee, blamed the attack on thugs and complained that it took three hours for Egyptian security forces to respond. The violence didn't end until early Sunday morning.
"What is behind this military reluctance? Is it semi-collaboration?" he asked.
Voor betrouwbare informatie over de situatie in Egypte leze men ook de weblog van anglicaans priester Jos Strengholt, die ter plaatse is. Over eergisteren schrijft hij bijvoorbeeld:
Laatste berichten zijn dat bij het televisiegebouw aan de Cornische langs de Nijl 2 doden en 71 gewonden zijn gevallen na een aanval van moslims op demonstrerende Kopten. De oproerpolitie heeft ruim 50 arrestaties verricht.
Gevechten begonnen zaterdagavond laat toen twee Kopten gewond raakten door geweervuur vanuit een auto. Dit zou een wraakactie zijn geweest omdat de demonstrerende Kopten een moslim op een motor niet hadden doorgelaten eerder op de avond. De auto reed langs de Kopten die al dagen demonstreren om hun droom van gelijkheid en veiligheid te onderstrepen. Niet ten onrechte, bleek weer eens.
Zondagmorgen vroeg liet de Egyptische staatstelevisie beelden zien van gevechten tussen wat het ‘Christenen en “onbekende mensen”’ noemde. CNN meldt op zijn website dat tientallen mannen in de lucht schoten en de Kopten aanvielen met stokken, stenen, metalen kettingen en molotov cocktails. Een van die lui liep rond met een zwaard.
De oproerpolitie probeerde de groepen uit elkaar te houden. Vroeg in de morgen werd ook gevochten bij het ministerie van buitenlandse zaken, een kilometer noordelijker, ook tussen moslims en Kopten. Het leger en de politie moesten in de lucht schieten en traangas gebruiken om een eind aan de gevechten te maken.
Ik vermoed dat het leger deze onlusten als reden zal gebruiken als aanleiding voor een hardere aanpak van demonstraties. Gaat het uitgaansverbod, momenteel van 2-5 uur in de nacht, weer worden aangescherpt?

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie plaatsen